© Sundowners as dusk settles over the Crater at Ngorongoro Serena Lodge
Often described as an African theme park Ngorongoro was born from the volcanic destruction of a free standing mountain thought to have been higher than Kilimanjaro.
The crater that was left gradually filled up with soil enabling plants to take root, and eventually providing an ecosystem for a vast variety of wildlife.Ngorongoro Highlights:
Best time to visit Ngorongoro:
- Ngorongoro is a World Heritage Site
- Nearby is Olduvai Gorge, the 'Cradle of Mankind'
- Best place in Tanzania to see black rhino
- Big Five can be seen in the Crater - lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, buffalo
- Largest intact, un-flooded caldera (crater) in the world
- A spectacular array of wildlife
- Home to a few thousand Maasai
- Lake Magadi, a soda lake, is often visited by flocks of flamingos
For wildlife viewing inside the crater, all year round, although during the heavy rains in April to May, some days might be difficult to descend into the crater.
See tours and safari lodges in Ngorongoro Crater