An 8 day safari following the Great Migration trail in the Masai Mara Game Reserve in Kenya and the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania
Follow the Great Migration | The Birthing Season
It is not always good to follow the herd, but on this spectacular exclusive safari, the only herds you follow are part of the Great Migration. Visit the Masai Mara and the Serengeti witnessing untamed Africa in all its splendour.
Kenya and Tanzania Safari Highlights
- Witness 1.8 million wildebeest, zebra and gazelle moving en mass across the plains.
- Follow the herds on private, unlimited game drives, with off-road driving and night game drives. You decide the pace and length of your drives. Game drives are centred solely around your interests with guides that know the area intimately.
- Experience untamed Africa on foot, tune in your senses to the whispering bush and view the savannahs in a leisurely manner, allowing time to notice the smaller creatures that are as fascinating and important as the larger game.
- Observe the big cats and other predators skulking on the outskirts of the herds and taking any opportunity to hunt.
What to Expect from Following the Great Migration SafariThis safari starts with a flight from Nairobi into the Masai Mara, with a bird's eye view of the great migration as the light aircraft flies over the herds as it comes into land. Stay on a private conservancy, with the luxury of limited access to it, ensuring peaceful and serene game spotting. The Masai Mara teems with game all year round. With the benefit of off road driving, private guide and spotter, you can follow predator/prey interactions from start to finish. Walking safaris in the early morning heighten the senses and give a better perspective on the sheer size of the landscape and animals that you view.
Follow the mighty herds into the Serengeti. During the months of December to May, the great migration is in the Southern part of the Serengeti where the grass is lush, sweet and plentiful. This is the time of birthing, where the millions of wildebeest, zebra and gazelle give birth en mass. Wonder at the beauty of the wobbly foal as it takes its first steps. Be in awe of the ferocity as a predator quickly extinguishes the life of a feeble new-born. Experience both joy and heartache as Africa tells her age-old story of survival.
Day 1: Fly from Nairobi to the Masai MaraFrom Wilson Airport, Nairobi, board a scheduled light aircraft to the Masai Mara where your guide will be waiting to escort you to the camp, sited above the Mara River, arriving in time for lunch.
Settle into your vast elegant marquee, with its bush bathroom overlooking the river valley, offering fantastic views. Furnished with comfort and style as the foremost priority, complete with an indoor fireplace, you can sit back and enjoy your home from home for the next three nights.
Take an afternoon and night game drive and scout out the area with your private guide and spotter. Enjoy the easy raconteur of your host as you dine en famille in the cosy dining room.
Day 2 & 3: Masai MaraView LodgeWith a private vehicle, guide and spotter and unlimited game drives, over the next few days you determine what you want to do and when. You can even change your mind as you go along, you have complete freedom to tailor make the safari to your needs and interests. With picnic breakfasts and lunches available, you can leave camp early and catch the morning bush activity. Dine al fresco in a shady spot, before continuing with your game drive. Alternatively, return to camp for meals, the choice is yours.
Guided short walks and full day walks are also available, an excellent way to appreciate the scenery and wildlife that surrounds you and get a better feel for the pulse of Africa
Day 4: Transfer to the SerengetiView LodgeAfter a final morning game drive or walk, itís time to head to the airstrip for your flight to the Serengeti. The light aircraft flies to the border between Kenya and Tanzania, where there will be a vehicle to drive you across the border, where normal immigration formalities occur. Continue on to a Tanzanian airstrip to board another light aircraft bound for the Southern Serengeti. The drive takes around one hour between the two airstrips.
As you fly over the Serengeti, enjoy looking down onto the vast landscape of the Serengeti plains. Youíll arrive at the southern Serengeti airstrip in the late afternoon, where a guide will be ready to drive you to camp.
The camp is a mobile camp, set up only during the wildebeest birthing season, mid-December to May, on the Southernmost extreme of the Serengetiís short grass plains, the optimum place to view the annual birthing spectacle. The camp is small, with only 6 spacious luxurious tents, lavishly decorated and eminently comfortable.
Day 5 - 7: Explore the SerengetiView LodgeWitness the wonder of over 1.8 million wildebeest covering the mighty plains, many heavily pregnant and ready to give birth. In the space of 3 - 4 weeks between three to four thousand calves are born, all ready to stand within minutes. Watch them take their first steps on wobbly legs and follow their mother. Keep your eyes peeled for the predators, who are quick to take advantage of the vulnerability of the youngsters and mothers and feast on this glut of prey.
Spend the next few days with your private guide, spotter and vehicle traversing the great plains, filled with an ever moving mass of wildebeest, zebra and gazelle. The sheer numbers, sounds, sights, joys and horrors are mind-boggling. This is a safari that will be forever etched in your memory.
Day 8: Fly to KilimanjaroWake up early for a final game drive and breakfast before heading to the airstrip to board a flight to Kilimanjaro International Airport for your onward travel arrangements.
- Flights from Wilson Airport to Masai Mara, Serengeti and Kilimanjaro
- Shared road transfers to and from airports
- 3 nights accommodation in Alex Walker Serian The Original, Masai Mara
- 4 nights accommodation in Alex Walker Serian Serengeti South Camp, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
- All meals including breakfast, lunch and dinner as per itinerary
- Full bar
- Unlimited game drives with exclusive use of safari vehicle accompanied by a private guide and spotter
- Off road driving and night drives
- Guided short walks and full-day walks
- All meet and greet services
- Entrance and conservation fees for all reserves as per itinerary
- Vintage wines and champagne
- Optional activities and all other extras to be settled direct
Rates / Prices
Enquiries / Questions