Botswana Safari Guide | Moremi Reserve
The Moremi Game Reserve is generally considered the most beautiful park in Africa with its floodplains and ancient riverine forests. Established by the local community to protect the wildlife in the region from over-hunting the Moremi today draws many visitors to its diversity.
An African Eden
Situated in the heart of the Okavango Delta the Moremi supports great numbers of wildlife ranging from the top predators to over 400 species of birds. These animals can be experienced on walks and game drives from one of the legendary Okavango lodges or on self-drive safaris where basic campsites provide for a 'true-to-the wilderness' African safari.
The Moremi Game Reserve consists of areas of permanent delta, large islands and seasonal floodplains. The dramatic Khwai River, the northern overflow of the Okavango, is part of Moremi and here the seasons of Africa are demonstrated in their rawest form.
Lions from all Directions
During my first night in Moremi I lay awake listening to the sounds of lions from three different directions and I remember thinking how unusual it was but in the following days I realised that this was the norm. In fact some nights I could pick up five different interactions.
- Moremi Reserve is a combination of permanent water and drier areas - making for excellent game viewing
- There is a great diversity of plant and animal life
- Remote safari lodges - few lodges can be reached by road
- One of Africa's finest areas for wildlife, with particularly high game densities
- Chiefs Island boasts two exclusive camps - Mombo Camp and Chiefs Camp with some of the best wildlife viewing
- Big five as well as all other main mammal species are prolific in Moremi - great population of wild dog
- More than 500 species of bird found in Moremi
Moremi is a year round wildlife destination. Game viewing is at its peak from July to October, when seasonal pans dry
The Moremi Game Reserve was set aside by the local people in the area to protect the wildfire against over hunting. Located entirely in the Okavango Delta it is quite easily the most beautiful part of the Delta.
Moremi AccommodationCamping under huge tress on the banks of a river, with wildlife wandering freely about, is a rare privilege in today's world but this is still possible in Moremi. There are a number of campsites in the reserve to choose from, all in excellent wildlife areas.
There are some lodges in Moremi that provide for those wanting a little more comfort. Usually set on islands these lodges and camps are a haven of tranquillity and are only accessible by air or by boat.