Take a break from all the action on your Tanzania safari and visit the tranquil Mufindi Highlands. This peaceful retreat in the Southern Highlands provides a much needed respite from the heat and dust of the safari circuit.
© Tea time at Mufindi Highland Lodge
Tea plantations, wildflowers and cool mountain air are what you will find in the Mufindi Highlands of Tanzania. Take some deep breaths and relax in this scenic and tranquil destination. You can set your own pace and do exactly as you please.
In Mufundi you will be off the beaten track and that means quality time for yourself and your loved ones as you savour the greenery. This area is characterised by volcanic mountains, grasslands, some forest, lakes and winding farm roads through the tea plantations.
Mufindi Highlands Highlights
- Freedom to explore during the day
- Cosy evenings in front of a roaring log fire
- Crisp mountain air and beautiful views
- Wildflowers (December to April)
- Bird watching
- Outdoor activities
- Local attractions to visit
When to Go
The Mufindi Highlands can be visited year round. It is a mountainous area and quite chilly in the peak of winter (July) and there is plenty of rainfall in season (December). The dry season is from May through November, followed by the long rains until February and some light rains through to April.
Some warm clothing is recommended at any time for cool mornings and evenings. September to November offers sunny clear days for hiking, while December to April is best for botanical displays.
Where are the Mufindi Highlands?
The Mufindi Highlands form part of the Southern Highlands region and are located near the town of Iringa, between Ruaha National Park and the Selous Game Reserve. The Mufindi Highlands can be reached on self-drive itineraries or via charter flights that connect Ruaha, Selous, Mikumi, Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam.
- Tours of tea estates and visits to local villages
- Horse riding
- Walking trails and hiking
- Mountain biking
- Fishing (also fly fishing)
- Scenic drives (4x4 required for more extensive exploration)
Attractions in the town of Iringa
- Neema Crafts Centre (great cafe, tours, internet, excellent crafts by People with Disabilities)
- Isimila Stone Age Site
- Iringa Rock Paintings
Surrounding Attractions in this Region
- Selous Game Reserve, Mikumi National Park, Udzungwa Mountains National Park
- Kitulo Plateau National Park (birding and exquisite flora including orchids in season)
- Lake Nyassa (also known as Lake Malawi) is the most southerly point in the Southern Highlands