As the worlds largest man-made lake, Lake Kariba is the result of the Kariba Dam hydro-electric power project, and took 5 years to fill, following completion of construction in 1958. Kariba was the dramatic scene of Operation Noah where tens of thousands of animals were saved from the rising floodwaters after the dam was built.Tiger fishing. Bumi Hills. lake Kariba
Zimbabwe Safari Guide | Lake Kariba
There are 102 islands on the lake including: Fothergill, Spurwing, Msambakaruma, Rhino, Redcliff, Antelope, Zebra, Kings Camp, Starvation Island, Lubangwa Island, Twin Sisters, Nemambere Island, Partridge Island, Whither Island, Paradise Island, Snake Island, Bed Island, Chete Island among others.
Lake Kariba Highlights:
- One of the world's greatest man-made lakes
- Matusadona National Park lies on the shores of Lake Kariba
- Fishing for tiger fish and bream is excellent
- 40 fish species and renowned for tiger fish
- View the wildlife by 4WD, boat, canoe or by walking
- See swimming elephants crossing the lake
- Houseboat safaris - Game viewing by boat near the shore is very rewarding
- Large herds of elephant, buffalo and plenty of hippos and waterbuck
- Spectacular watery sunsets with dead trees standing like sculptures
- Accommodation consists of lakeshore lodges, houseboats and floating chalets
- Massive Nile crocodiles and hippos found in the lake
- The history and folklore attached to the Lake
Best time to visit Lake Kariba:Sunset Dining at Musango Lodge
Dry Season: June to October the animals come to the lake to drink and graze along the banks. October's heat can exceed 30°C. The dry season is the best time to visit.
Rainy Season: it rains from early November to the end of April. Animals move away from the lake. The rainy summer months are hot and humid.
Enquiries / Questions