Namibia Camping Expedition | Guided or Self-drive
Expected Safari Experience Overview:
- Accommodation: Camping, hotel
- Activities: Explore the Sossusvlei dunes, Kuiseb Canyon, Moonlandscape, dune climbing, photography, game drives.
- Destinations: Windhoek, Namib Desert, Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Kuiseb Canyon, Walvis Bay, Twyfelfontein, Cape Cross, Opuwo, Etosha, Palmwag, Okonjima.
What you can expect from this 15 Day Namibia Camping Expedition:
A camping safari is often the best way to experience the true essence of Africa. Here, the highlights of Namibia are included. Explore the Namib Desert, Skeleton Coast, Kaokoland with its traditional Himba tribes as well as one of the best game reserves in Africa, the Etosha National Park.
- There is both a fully guided option and a self drive option - accommodation is mostly camping on this Namibia safari tour.
- Accommodation and meals are as stated in itinerary.
- Alternatively there is also a guided or self-drive option with standard or luxury lodge/hotel accommodation instead of camping - please enquire for more info on this option
Day 1: Windhoek / Kalahari Desert, Namibia
Head south from Windhoek through desert shrub savannah to the Mariental, and then to the fringes of the Kalahari Desert. A beautiful area for photography, especially in the late afternoon and early morning.
Guided & self-drive: Overnight at Auob or Anib Lodge. Breakfast and Dinner is included.
Day 2 & 3: Namib Desert / Sossusvlei, Namibia
From the Kalahari, travel west to the Namib Desert where a full day is set aside in this area. The highlight will be the visit to the Sossusvlei Dunes area where half a day will be spent on photography, dune climbing, visit Dead Pan as well Dune 45. The late afternoon is set aside to visit the enchanting Sesriem Gorge and Elim dune for sunset.
Guided: Accommodation at Sesriem campsite - all meals included
Self-drive: Accommodation at Sesriem campsite - no meals included.
Day 4 & 5: Kuiseb Canyon / Namib Gravel Plains / Welwitschia / Swakopmund / Skeleton Coast
Travel west through desert gravel plains, via the stunning Kuiseb Canyon and Moon Landscape to Swakopmund, which is situated on the Skeleton Coast. Time is set aside for a morning visit to Walvis Bay, home to a wide variety of bird species such as Flamingo, Pelican and numerous waders.
Optional extra activities while at Swakopmund include scenic flights, a Dolphin cruise, dune boarding, 4X4 quad biking and lots more.
Guided & Self-drive: Accommodation at Europa Hof Hotel / Rapmund Hotel - Breakfast included.
Day 6: Skeleton Coast / Cape Cross / Damaraland
Travel north along the Skeleton Coast to the Cape Cross where a breeding colony of Cape Fur Seals (80000 - 100000) can be seen. Then head inland to Uis, the centre of Damaraland. From here, head north through this semi-desert area, beautiful with eroded granite hills and dolerite dykes to the Twyfelfontein area. If time permits, visit the open air museum of Twyfelfontein in the afternoon, or the next morning.
Guided: Accommodation at Camp Xaragu campsite - all meals included
Self-drive: Accommodation at Camp Xaragu campsite - no meals included.
Day 7: Desert adapted Elephants / Damaraland, Namibia
Enjoy a morning visit to the Twyfelfontein rock engravings and Bushman paintings, before heading north west via the 'back-route' to Palmwag Lodge. This road goes through open plains, dune fields as well as mountainous areas with a good opportunity to see the desert adapted Elephant and other animals such as Mountain Zebra, Giraffe, Springbok and Ostrich.
Guided: Accommodation at Palmwag campsite - all meals included. Camp food is prepared on the fire and meals are all freshly made.
Self-drive: Accommodation at Palmwag campsite - no meals included.
Days 8 & 9: Opuwo / Himba Tribes / Epupa Falls
Today you head north to the frontier town of Opuwo, a Herero word meaning, 'all finished" or "no more"! From Opuwo, north again past Okangwati to the Epupa Falls on the Kunene River. A full day is spent here to relax, visit local Himba villages, hike along the river and to enjoy camping under Makalani palm trees!
Guided: Accommodation at Epupa campsite. Epupa Campsite is located on the banks of the Kunene River in Kaokoland, northwestern Namibia. A stunning oasis in the middle of Kaokoland's dry rocky terrain is a sight to behold - all meals included
Self-drive: Accommodation at Epupa campsite - no meals included.
Day 10: West Etosha, Namibia
Today is quite a long day today heading back to Opuwo and then the western edge of the Etosha National Park. Overnight at Hobatere campsite. All meals are included on the guided Namibia safari.
Guided: Accommodation at Hobatere campsite - all meals included
Self-drive: Accommodation at Hobatere campsite - no meals included.
Days 11 - 13: Etosha National Park, Namibia
You will enter Etosha at the western Otjivasando gate, closed to the public (a special permit for this area will be obtained) and head east to Okaukuejo. Along the way, stop over at numerous waterholes for game viewing.
Enjoy the waterhole at Okaukuejo where there is an excellent chance to see the Black Rhino drinking at night. These days will be spent in Etosha on morning and afternoon game drives and visiting numerous waterholes. There is an estimated number of 250 lions in the park, 300 rhinos, 2 500 giraffes, 6 000 zebras and more than 2 000 elephants. The dainty springbok are especially numerous; at least 20 000 of them roam the reserve. Often, they can be observed in enormous herds of several hundred animals.
Guided: Accommodation at Namibia Wildlife Resorts (Namutoni / Halali / Okaukuejo) - all meals included
Self-drive: Accommodation at Namibia Wildlife Resorts (Namutoni / Halali / Okaukuejo) - no meals included.
Day 14: Otjiwarongo / Waterberg Plateau, Namibia
Exit Etosha at the eastern gate and head south to Otjiwarongo, arriving at the Waterberg Plateau in the afternoon. The Waterberg Plateau is one of the most spectacular features of the northern region. Towering some 200 metres above the surrounding landscape, the plateau with its sheer cliffs and fascinating rock formations is the habitat and breeding ground of several rare game species including rhinoceros, buffalo, and sable and roan antelope.
Guided: Accommodation at Waterberg campsite - all meals included
Self-drive: Accommodation at Waterberg campsite - no meals included.
Day 15: Windhoek, Namibia
Depart after breakfast and head south to Okahandja (wood carving market) and then on to Windhoek and transfer to the airport where the Namibia safari will end.
Included (Guided safaris):
- Guide fees
- All accommodation except community campsites
- Meals as indicated in the itineraries
- Park entry fees and all other permits
- Bottled / mineral water is included in the vehicle/s and campsites
- Vehicle and all vehicle costs. All passengers will have window seats.
- Camping equipment if a camping safari. This includes bedding (bedrolls), tents, all kitchen equipment.
- Game drives in national reserves and private concessions where it's included in the overnight accommodation cost
- First Aid Kit but this only includes items and medical equipment to treat basic bruises, cuts and stings. Guides are not qualified to carry out medical duties and clients are advised to bring their own personal medicines for allergies, etc
Included (Self-Drive Option)
- All accommodation except when camping at community campsites.
- Meals in lodges - breakfast and dinner (as per itinerary)
- Meet and greet by a company representative the day the guests arrive in Windhoek.
Not Included (Guided Safaris)
- Holiday or personal insurance
- Guide and other staff gratuities
- Flights unless included in the itinerary
- Visa or departure taxes (where applicable)
- Government levies not included in costs quoted
- Personal needs or items such as laundry and phone calls
- Alcoholic beverages or any drinks in restaurants / hotels / lodges (except where included in the itinerary)
- All self-drive meals
- Self-drive car rental
- Camping costs at community campsites
Not Included (Self-Drive Option)
- Vehicle rental
- Fuel or any vehicle costs.
- Meals unless included as per the itinerary.
- Camping equipment.
- Entry fees.
- Personal needs or items.
- Holiday or personal insurance.
Rates / Prices
Enquiries / Questions