On this fascinating East Africa safari visit, Lake Victoria, Ngorongoro Crater and the Parc National des Volcans encounter chimpanzee, volcanoes and Gorillas on this extraordinary trekking safari.
Trekking Adventure Highlights
- Encounter the highly endangered mountain gorillas and chimpanzee in the wild
- Venture into tropical forests trekking chimpanzee. Sleep under the stars in a ‘fly camp’ and interact with local trackers and guides who study the chimps
- Forest walks seeking the elusive sitatunga, spot-necked otters and elephants
- Full day game drive in Ngorongoro Crater with an excellent chance of seeing the big 5
- Follow ancient Maasai trails through mountain forests and climb up the Olmoti volcano. Descend down into Empakai Crater on foot with impressive views at every point and maybe encounter buffalo and bushbuck.
- An unbelievably emotional wildlife experience; Trekking wild mountain gorillas on the slopes of the Virunga Volcanoes
- Trek to see the golden monkeys, endemic to the high altitude Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda
What to expect on this trekking safari in Tanzania and Rwanda
Adventure, fun, excitement and plenty of wildlife encounters are the focus of this safari. Trekking through forest paths on uneven ground, up steep slopes, which can be physically demanding. Treks to see the chimpanzees and gorillas can last between 2 to 5 hours. Therefore, you need to be in good physical condition and fairly fit. However, the reward of encountering these wonderful beasts in their natural habitat is well worth the effort.
Day 1- 4: Chimpanzee Trek - Lake Victoria
Begin the adventure with a light aircraft flight from Arusha to Lake Victoria. The largest lake in Africa and chief reservoir of the Nile River. Stay on Rubondo Island, the largest national park in Africa, which has tropical forests home to sitatunga, elephant, giraffe and wild chimpanzees.
Spend four nights on the island, staying in a lakeshore cottage, shaded by indigenous forest with the gently lapping waves lulling you to sleep at night. Dine al fresco on the beach enjoying fresh fish dishes straight out of the lake.
Join the chimp habituation tracking team, trekking through the forest to find the chimps, staying overnight out in the forest for an adventure out in the wilds. The forest is full of game, as you search for the chimps, you may also encounter elephant, giraffe, sitatunga and plenty of butterflies.
Take a dhow safari; enjoy the peace and tranquillity as you drift under sail across the lake watching the magical sunset, listening to the grunts of hippos.
Wake up early, take a fishing rod with you on a boat and try to catch a Nile Perch. Land on a deserted beach for a sumptuous picnic lunch on a pristine white beach.
Day 5: Ngorongoro Conservation Area
An early start this morning to catch your flight to Manyara and road transfer up into the highlands of Ngorongoro Conservation Area for your next adventure experience.
Stay in a modern low impact/high in style camp, with sweeping views to the Serengeti. Sip pre-dinner drinks around the indoor fire and dine in style relishing gourmet meals freshly prepared using organic ingredients from the local area.
Spend the afternoon with local Maasai at a nearby village, learning about their lifestyle and traditions.
Day 6 - 7: Ngorongoro Crater Descents
Spend the next two days exploring the Ngorongoro area, with a full day game drive on the floor of Ngorongoro Crater, famed for the diversity of wildlife and pure beauty. Stop for lunch in a shady spot, surrounded by game, and take some time to take in the majesty of the scene.
Hike along a Maasai cattle track through the ancient forests and climb Olmoti volcano amongst a plethora of butterflies. Do a half day trek from the camp, descending into Empakaai Crater and stroll around the flamingo strewn lakeshore. Stopping on the way down to appreciate the spectacular views.
Day 8: Kigali, Rwanda
Spend the early morning on a guided walk before driving down the twisting scenic road to Manyara Airstrip to board your flight to Kigali in Rwanda. On arrival in Kigali, a guide will meet you and escort you on a two hour road transfer to the lodge near the Parc des Volcans, where you’ll spend the next three nights.
Arriving in time for pre dinner drinks and a delicious dinner. Snuggle in front of the fireplace in your cottage’s spacious sitting room, before slumbering on your king sized bed.
Day 9 - 10: Gorilla and Golden Monkey Trek
Today is an early start, as the gorilla trek begins at 07h30 from the park headquarters. A briefing is given prior to setting out on the gorilla trek up the slopes of the Virunga Volcanoes. The trek starts on cultivated land at the base of the volcano and wends upwards through mist-shrouded forest. The location of the gorillas determines the length of the trek, on average it takes between 2 to 5 hours, with a maximum of 8 visitors per gorilla family.
Only 80 gorilla permits are issued per day, and they can sell out rapidly, it is best to book your permit well in advance. There are presently 8 families of mountain gorillas in the park. What an awe inspiring sight, seeing a huge silverback gorilla interact with his family, with their human-like mannerisms and soulful eyes.
Another early start to view one of the two habituated troops of golden monkey at the foot of Mount Sabyinyo. Each troop has 80 to 100 playful and inquisitive members. The trek to see the monkeys starts at 07h00 and visitors are restricted to stay 1 hour watching the monkeys antics. Observe the dexterity of the monkeys’ as they leap from bamboo branches and chase each other on the forest floor.
Day 11: Fond Farewells
After an early breakfast, it’s time to travel to the airport in Kigali for your onward journey arrangements.
- Flights from Arusha Airport to Rubondo Island, Lake Manyara and Kigali, Rwanda.
- Shared road transfers to and from airports
- 7 nights accommodation in safari lodges
- 3 nights accommodation in a luxury tented camp
- All meals including breakfast, lunch and dinner as per itinerary
- Local drinks including teas/coffees, soft drinks, local brand beers, local spirits and house wines whilst staying at the safari lodges
- Game drives in a shared safari vehicle accompanied by an experienced guide
- Gorilla and Golden Monkey permits
- Chimpanzee experience
- Guided walks and treks
- Dhow Sail safari & kayaking
- Fishing and fishing permit
- All meet and greet services
- Entrance and conservation fees for all reserves as per itinerary
- Vintage wines and champagne
- Visas, personal border taxes and related costs
- Optional activities and all other extras to be settled direct